mercredi 8 août 2007

Too calm to be true

Three weeks already, and routine has already installed itself.

That routine includes regular fire fights and explosions in the city, which occur on a daily basis. They are never aimed at us, though : the Afghan National Police are the ones taking it up the ass lately. In fact we, the coalition forces, have become a sort of third priority in terms of Taliban attacks. Why? I don't have a clue. Maybe they feel they are losing against us, so they start picking on their country's legitimate authorities. Easier, quicker ; in essence, the losing path.

The past few day at Camp Nathan Smith have been very quiet. Good thing is it gives me time to write and work on my column for the Journal de Montréal. Defense and security is already boring, becoming some sort of glorified security guard job. I say glorified because of the fat salary and the automatic weapons. But it's a little too quiet for me. Not just because I could use more action, but also because it leaves one to wonder what those Taliban fucks are up to.

It's like a bad Star Trek scene :

Kirk : "Everything seems quiet"
Soon-to-die-red-shirted-guest-star : -Yeah, a little too quiet.

Usually, this is where the villains erupt from behind the styrofoam rock and blow the red shirted guest star to smithereens with crayon rays.

I've been writing a lot these days. Why isn'it on the blog? Because it's very personal and it may or may not be used as source material for that book I always talk about writing. Another writer's trait : talking more about writing than actually doing it. I think that if all writers wrote everything that came to their minds and actually did something with their lives, we might have global peace, love and understanding, or maybe its exact opposite, who knows.

these are the kind of thoughts that come to mind with too much free time on my hands.

1 commentaire:

Thewhite a dit…

Man, your writing is awesome!!! I really enjoy read it. Always have a smile after.

Really congratulation for making front page of Le Journal de Montreal and Le Journal de Quebec. Your career in journalism is launched now. Take care over there, I'll see you when you'll be back. Until then, I'll read you and put some comments now and then.